Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Rapping to Review


As the first nine weeks comes to a close, my children are in complete panic mode about 99% of everything.  My honors classes really don't have a reason to be worrying, but I guess that their 98.9 in English II could always be a 99. ;) So, in true honors style, they begged me for extra credit.  I'm not a huge fan of extra credit - I tend to prefer regular credit, BUT one of my children offered up such a wonderful idea that I couldn't say no.

My 1st period class asked if they could write and perform original songs that would review or discuss something that they've learned this 9 weeks.  I'm a fan of creative projects AND seeing my kids have fun & embarrass themselves on video. I just couldn't say no.  Of course I asked for permission before I posted(and seeing how all of their videos are on YouTube, all anyone in the world would have to do is search), and all of them were MORE THAN WILLING for me to share these with the world. 

Here are a couple of my favorite videos:

And here's another one:

The formatting of my other favorite was a little odd, so I couldn't get it to post. :( BUT If you know me at all, you know that I absolutely HATE cell phones in class.  Every teacher has something...and my something is the phone.  All of my children KNOW that if they instantly want to be on my "list", then take out the phone. It's one of those things that just thinking about it makes my skin crawl!  That being sad, but children did a parody of "Hotline Bling" where they changed the words to "She caught me on my cell phone, when I was supposed to be doing my work." They also mentioned my OCD about there not being any paper on the floor! haha! Here are their lyrics:
[Chorus]
Catch me on my cellphone
When I was supposed to do my work(2x)
So I just threw the trash on the floor
Now I'm headed straight out the door(2x)

[Verse 1]
Ever since I been in class, you
Started tripping about trash on the floor
Told me I should recycle more
Now I'm ready to walk out the door
Ever since I left the class, you
Started giving quizzes when we didn't read
You sent me out when I wanted to eat
In ISS with kids I've never seen before

*brief intermission to get our lives together*

[Chorus]
Catch me on my cellphone
When I was supposed to do my work(2x)
So I just threw the trash on the floor
Now I'm headed straight out the door(2x)

[Verse 2]
Ever since I been in class, you
You and me we finally get along
Told me I had bad grammar when I did it wrong
Now I don't dare use my cellphone
Ever since I been in class, you
You got exactly what you asked for
Running out pages in my notebook

My kids are the best and we had a great review day/viewing party today.  It also helps that half those songs got on our minds and we walked around singing about literary devices all day! ha! 

Happy end of the 1st nine weeks, ya'll! It's almost Thanksgiving Break.

1 comment: