Sunday, October 25, 2015

Halloween in High School

     I absolutely love celebrating holidays and I don't think that you should stop the celebrations just because your students aren't in elementary school.  Let's be honest, who doesn't love a treat bag!?  

    As I prepare the treat bags, bake the cookies, make sure every eyeball is perfectly placed on the ghosts (Nutter Butter cookies), and stack spooky pencils on my shelf (all while watching Hocus Pocus), I thought I'd throw a sale on all of the Halloween products in my TPT store.  There's nothing better than celebrating my favorite holiday while sticking with the standards, too! ;)

From now until October 28th, enjoy 20% off all of the following products:


I usually spend time at the end of the week or at the end of the class each day doing short, spooky activities in the month of October.  This bundle includes all you need to do the same, OR to use for extra credit assignments (which I sometimes throw in, too!).  
Bundle Includes:
- Poe's "The Masque of The Red Death" full text
- Symbolism activity for the short story (7 deadly sins) - answer key included
- Creative Project "Prince Prospero's Playlist" to analyze imagery + mood
- Critical Thinking questions + answer key for "The Masque of The Red Death", students consider symbolism, reliability of narrator, theme, etc.
- Nonfiction article Scavenger Hunt on America's First Serial Killer 
- Research activity based on nonfiction article
- Spooky Square - a "magic square" with literary terms 
- Poetry Analysis activity: includes poem + thinking stems + illustration activity to enhance student understanding of symbolism, tone, and mood
- Pumpkin Project - an extra credit assignment where students are prompted to carve a pumpkin using their favorite author or story as inspiration. Rubric Included

My freshmen are working on writing narratives and creating their own stories from scratch.  They started this activity last week and loved it.  I compiled a list of great prompts that I've collected over the years and put them on printable cards for the students.  They were given short prompts or spooky photos to spark their imaginations.  
 Students are given an assignment sheet which details how they must compose a scary short story using literary elements and specific stylistic devices. They are then given a list of over 20 scary story starters or spooky photos to use for inspiration. 

Also includes cards to use when reading other stories from classmates. Students rank the other stories on spookiness and how well they like what they've read. 

If you're trying to get your students to think critically OR if you've just taught a unit on social commentary - this is the perfect film for you!  My students BEGGED me to watch more of this each day.  I've included over 30 questions for them to think about, BUT I only asked them to choose 10 to actually answer for credit.  I also included my presentation on social commentary & how I introduce it to my students.


I hope everyone has a spectacularly spooky week - and that your kids get all sugared up AFTER they leave your class. Fingers crossed hoping that nobody gives out sticky hands/bugs/ANYTHING this year! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment