Sunday, January 3, 2016

English II EOC: Preparing for Battle


Any English II teacher understands the title of this post.  The EOC is probably one of the scariest beasts that our students will ever face.  It's one of those things that, when you see the questions, you feel instant panic.  My second instinct was to hug all of my students and apologize to their poor brains.  It's about 75 questions full of 2-5 page reading passages for every 2-3 questions, poems, and nonfiction articles - which are equally as lengthy.  They're asked the same thing a million different ways and I'm sure it becomes frustrating and TIRESOME.  I teach all English II, every semester, from honors to inclusion.  I've never had a class finish the test in less than 4 hours.

IT. IS. A. MONSTER.

This semester, I'm prepping my students in a different way.  We complete "testing Tuesday" every week - I teach them a quick mini-lesson that will help on their test: everything from test taking tips to why we need subplots.  We also do a timed, cold read.  I can't emphasize enough how helpful this has been for my children.

BUT, they've just had two weeks out of school, my extra credit packet, and a whole lot of sleeping in and doing whatever they please.  I know they'll be lethargic and not in the mood for test prep.  

I spent some time over winter break brainstorming some specific ways that I could prep my students for the EOC battle.  I'm introducing them to "EOC BOOTCAMP" on Monday!  It's an entire packet full of review games, articles, poetry, and fiction all based on the military, war, soldiers, etc.  Everything is themed - they've come to expect it from me at this point.  haha! Who knows, I might even purchase some camo and pretend like I'm a wilderness girl.  

You can check out the packet in my TPT store now! I'll have it on sale (20% off), for the next 24 hours only!  

Take a Look Here

No comments:

Post a Comment